Justin Berner

This object is probably one of my favorite articles of clothing and, perhaps, also one of my favorite possessions in general. The first reason for this is rather simple: I really appreciate the aesthetic of the watch and I feel like it is one of the few objects that I have that best expresses my own idea of what constitutes my personal aesthetic. Additionally, since this was one of my first big purchases upon getting settled in Berkeley last year, it also holds a strong sentimental significance. I do not often buy watches, so it is much easier to remember the affective, oft-nostalgic connections I feel for the few that I do have.

Though we would all likely be much more enlightened if we looked at all objects this way, we also would not be capable at getting very much done. This sort of analysis would be extremely useful when working with such an object (i.e. if I were designing or constructing a watch) or if we were investigating the object for some specific purpose (i.e. if I wanted to understand the difference between watch designs in the early 20th and the early 21st Centuries); however, such an analysis is not required and can become an impediment for most people in most occasions. An everyday watch consumer does not need to understand the history of time keeping or the quartz time-keeping mechanism to enjoy the object ticking on their wrist: for that reason, a basic, almost heuristic (i.e.: “I know a quartz watch ticks and needs batteries”), knowledge is sufficient for most people.

By going through this process of in-depth analysis, my original associations have remained intact and I would say that I have added an additional association of wonder towards the object. In fact, my prior associations feel strengthened through a more thorough comprehension of what a watch measures and how this measurement has changed over the course of multiple centuries. Second, by better comprehending the science and by looking with more detail at the interpretation (the design), I do feel much more wonder when looking down at this everyday object.