Jann Speyer

The peregrine falcon used to be my favorite animal when I was a child. When I played in the woods with friends pretending to be a pack of animals the peregrine falcon was always my first choice. I was always fascinated by their flight capabilities. The peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on the planet. When diving it can reach up to 320 km/h, which is as fast as a formula one car. It therefore adapts to the aerodynamic shape of a teardrop. What also impressed me is it’s power and strength as a predator. Today I still have strong sympathy for this animal and whenever I think of it or see it, it reminds me of my childhood.

If we would look at our world more analytically and really make up our mind about of how and why we judge our surroundings, interpret our world and how we create associations it would most certainly diminish prejudices, racism and exclusion. Furthermore it would be interesting to discover how much our perception and association can influence our mood and behavior. Here I want to emphasize the marketing and advertisement industry that most certainly tries to take advantage of these mechanisms in order to trigger a purchase decision. I think being more aware of these effects and analyzing them would make us more reluctant towards manipulation and more objective in our judgments.

Breaking down the peregrine falcon into formal steps has not changed too much about my perception. At first I felt like I was kind of looking at the animal from a slightly different perspective, but I feel like my memories and interpretations deriving from my childhood are very engraved. What I did realize, is what my whole interpretation of a peregrine falcon consist of and how many different facets it has.