Carlos Lasa

Part 1 – What does this object mean to you?

I have a large mug collection, but out of all my mugs there is one I use the most – this cafe mug from Crate&Barrel. There is no deep emotional significance or sentimental connection here, but there is something about the universality of the mug’s design that draws me to it. I feel that the simplicity of the design (clear, glass, no fancy etching or wacky print) allows me to use the mug when I’m in any mood, and whatever the contents of the mug may be they act as a medium that reflects whatever I’m feeling or would like to feel on the inside.

Part 2 (see below)

Part 3
1. What if we looked at all objects,people,thoughts, and things in the world this way?
By ‘this way’, I presume it means looking at things as vessels and deriving meaning from whatever they hold inside. I find this perspective to be a beautiful way to interact with the world as it allows you to look deeper, beyond the surface, discarding all superficiality and finding truth in what lies beneath.

2. When would we need to look at the world this way?
I believe that this way of looking at the world can be applied in all situations but would be best used whenever self-introspection is done or whenever there are situations you want to empathize with someone or some thing. Empathy is key in all things, most especially in design.

3. Has the meaning of this object changed?
At the beginning of this exercise, this cafe mug was just a mug that I used frequently. Now, it has taken on a different meaning for me. I’ll be a little more cognizant of the things I place in the mug and wonder now and then about how I’m really feeling during those moments.