Better Late Than Never!

After learning about Computer Ethics and Approaches and how important it could be to apply ethical approaches in our day to day use of computer technology too, as a Computer Professional, I was wondering whether India (Yes, I come from India :O) had any such ethical policies for Computer Professionals . And sadly I couldn’t find any such policies but this recent news article about a recommendation report published by Nasscom on Ethics and Corporate Goverance.

In India, the percentage share of service sector in the Total GDP is more than 50% and IT services & outsourcing plays a major role in it. After the Satyam Fiasco in January 2009, I think it is high time that Indian Companies implement some strict policies in place to avoid such corporate disaster in future, as such crisis could affect the confidence of foreign customers in other Indian IT outsources too.

This report recommends similar approaches to what we studied in class like having a whistleblower policies, high standards of probity and corporate governance, code of conduct with customers, including in the areas of data security and protection of intellectual property, etc.

In the end, I would say I am happy to see a small stepping step towards it at least if not a complete policy in place. This would hopefully encourage Indian Companies implement a much needed policy on Ethics and Corporate Governance and reaffirm its lost credibility.