Somm

Screenshot from the documentary Somm

I recently watched the documentary Somm, available on Netflix. It’s about four men who are trying to achieve the rank of Master Sommelier, the highest possible rank for a sommelier in the world. The diploma’s been available since 1969, but only 214 people had earned it by the end of last year. The test has three parts: theory, service, and a blind, 25-minute taste test of 5 wines. In the taste test, they have to be able to identify the grape varietal, the region from which the wine came, and the year. 

Their journey to the exam reminded me a lot of Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and the focus Jiro exhibited. The exam occurs only once a year, and obviously only a handful of people pass. The sommeliers in the film spend all of their time focusing on this one task: pass the test. At the end, they mention that it’s only the beginning, they have to constantly learn more and refine their palates to stay on top. It’s a great look at what it takes to be the best in this particular field, and to do what many would consider (nearly) impossible.

One thought on “Somm

1. Looking forward to watching it, thanks for sharing. I wonder if some innate talent (taste buds) is required. I once met the European and French “sommelier” champion. The tests he had to do to win were just beyond belief.
    I wonder how these 4 people practiced. Was a lot of do (taste) – reflect – redo etc?