RR6 – VR and Mixed Reality

1) I particularly liked the feedback through the hand paddles. It was unexpected and really enriched the experience (opening drawers, pulling handles, etc.). As mentioned in the Magic Leap article, some other VR experiences give feedback through vests or clothes – maximizing the number of senses involved (while maintaining continuity between them) could be really interesting. I also felt like certain architectural features in the environments took advantage of being able to place the user in them (overhead beams and ledges, for example) that wouldn’t work as well for traditional displays.

2) At one point, I ended up on the menu screen (pressing a wrong button?) and didn’t know how to navigate it. This issue seems hardly specific to VR, but it felt like a stronger clashing of worlds in VR, maybe because I have the expectation that is should be seamless (have as few distractions from the VR space as possible). I found it similarly challenging to figure how to use the hand paddles – do the different buttons have consistent functions across environments? Finally, I wear glasses, and while I could see without them, the blurriness somewhat detracted from the experience. I imagine this is a widespread issue, and I’m curious what’s been done for it.