Google Maps

A UI that I use very frequently and love is Google Maps. I’m considering the UI as both the screen element (where the user inputs origin/destination information to see a route on the map), and the speech element when Google Maps tells me directions. Looking to Activity Theory, Google Maps, is an object in the world, that I, the subject, interact with. One aspect of Activity Theory is consideration of the social context of the activity relationship between a subject and an object. Google Maps is a wonderful UI because it is useful in this social context, and develops because of the social context.

When I use Google Maps, I’m using it to achieve a goal – to get me from point A to point B as quickly as possible. I have a larger motive though, which is to be efficient with my time. This is a psychological need of mine which is largely shaped by the culture I live in. I live in a culture that runs on efficiency. This results in punctuality being much more highly regarded than in other cultures. This cultural need, existing in the social context, transforms Google Maps so that it helps me achieve my motive. For example, when I begin my route from point A to point B, the speech component of the UI will inform me if there is an accident that has occurred that will delay me, and gives a precise number of minutes that the delay is expected to be. Additionally, the speech UI will periodically reassure me that I am still on the fastest route. These pieces of information are only valuable to me because I care about how my activity fits into the larger social context (what meeting I’m headed to, dinner I am traveling to, etc.) and they help me gauge if I need to be considerate and let others know if I will be late/on-time/early.

As this activity goes on over time between Google Maps and its users, the activity becomes so ubiquitous that it changes the cultural norms. For example, as Google Maps becomes more precise and as everyone uses it, there’s a higher expectation among humans to be on time. As this activity continues, it develops the humans (i.e. the subjects) into more punctual people who care more about optimizing their time (a motivation influenced by a changing culture) because it is easier to do so, and it develops Google Maps (i.e. the object) to have more precise algorithms for route optimization and further functionality to meet the changing human needs.