Future of Music: Links and Things

Dan Turner asked that I post some links to a few of the things I talked about this afternoon, so…

One thing that I regret forgetting to mention in our mini-discussion of Of Montreal is that their most recognizable tune, “Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games” is the basis of the Outback Steakhouse jingle, which is more famous than the band’s original track. Click at your own risk (it will get stuck in your head for hours, possibly days): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PoJv4N1Too

Now the links.

Amie Street
SellaBand
Hype Machine
Flux Blog
Musicovery
Last.fm
Songbird
RCRD LBL
iHome’s iP1 (I forgot to mention that it uses “Bongiovi Acoustic’s”)
My 2008 Presidential Election mix, using a Muxtape clone
now defunct Mixwit
Mixtape Memory Stick
Live Music Archive
Setlist.fm
Brown Paper Tickets
Antares Technology (makers of AutoTune)
Zebra Keys
Guitar Zeros
US Air Guitar

Thanks for listening! Happy rest of the semester!

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Future of Music: Links and Things”

1. megan says:

i wish we’d had a little more time to discuss music-sharing on internet communities like message boards; i think it’s a really interesting topic that can also include how one’s internet life and real life can collide. for a long time, i was a very active member of a small off-shoot of the Elephant 6 forums (known as the E6 Townhall, http://www.e6townhall.com/) called the E6 Treehouse. it only had about 30 or so active members, and we all grew to know each other, and most of our focus was on sharing music – not just Elephant 6 music – and getting to know each other. i’ve had the pleasure of meeting some of the board members in real life, and we all keep in contact via facebook and the like, even though i (and some others) no longer post on the board. i’ve really expanded my musical tastes and knowledge thanks to online communities like that, and it’s prompted me to go out and buy records and CDs that i never would have considered before.

2. Quentin Hardy says:

Very interesting idea — perhaps the emotional content of music is a quicker and more powerful way to trust than most language. “I like this, you like this, we share this…” as a basis for other kinds of trust/sharing. Nonrational (to get all Drucker on you, intuitive) but more effective — if it occurs in a rational framework.