Assignment 5: Aesthetic Analysis and Type 1

This week’s assignment has two parts and they are both due on Thursday Feb 26th 9AM.

Part I: Type 1

You will design UI of a new mobile weather app. Create typographic hierarchy with the following set of rules:

• Use Verdana as typeface
  • Use scale
  • You may use rotation of text
  • Background is white and figure is black
  • No gray scale (only black or white)
  • No images/photos/illustrations
  • No italics or weight (bold)
  • Screen size is 750 × 1334px
  • You can choose to omit punctuation
  • Use all the copy below:

February 23, 2015
Berkeley, CA 94720
Monday Clear
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 62%
Wind: 7mph
68°F
Tuesday 64
Wednesday 64
Thursday 66
Friday 66

Create two variations of design. Version 1 should focus on typographic hierarchy (i.e., help a user understand information through a logical and meaningful journey). Version 2 in contrast, should play with possible emotional aspects of interaction with weather app (e.g., funny, nostalgic, angry, etc.). You are free to interpret the possible emotional aspects. However, the same rules apply to this version. Document your results in your “Workshop Document” (available in Keynote or PowerPoint). Please use your name in the following filename format: LastnameFirstnameA5_1.pdf.  Due as a blogpost with a PDF attachment on Thursday Feb 26th 9AM.

Part II: Aesthetic Analysis

Pick two UI exemplars to engage in UI aesthetic analysis. The two example UIs you choose will serve as pieces of “competitor analysis” for your UI, with an emphasis on aesthetic. Document results of your UI aesthetic analysis in your “Research Process Document” (available in Keynote or PowerPoint). Please use your name in the following filename format: LastnameFirstnameA5_2.pdf.  Due as a blogpost with a PDF attachment on Thursday Feb 26th 9AM.

63 thoughts on “Assignment 5: Aesthetic Analysis and Type 1

• Opps! I attached the wrong version in my first post. Here’s the one I wanted to attach! Please disregard the file I first submitted. I couldn’t figure out how to delete a comment….

1. part 2 (sorry this is late – I”m behind on work because I was in the ER last night [everything turned out to be fine])

• This submission was for Part II: Aesthetic Analysis. I handed part 1 on time a while back.